Tuesday, May 17, 2011

AFRIKABURN

Okay so I have been trying to figure out how I would explain Afrikaburn in words but I have come to conclusion that it's actually impossible to put the experience into words. It is based off of burningman that happens in the states if anyone has heard of that. I know I hadn't so I had no idea what I was in for signing up to go to this thing.

We left in our great adventure vehicle (as seen below)

On Friday morning at 7:30 we embarked on our journey and drove for about 3 hrs and all of sudden the road just ended and we were in the desert. The next 2 and a half hours were VERY bumpy and not comfortable at all. We were literally driving into the middle of the desert, the dust was so bad that we couldn't even see the car in front of us. When I looked out the window there was literally nothing in sight for miles, literally as far as I could see. I guess we were really in the desert. At the end of the 2 and a half hours we all of a sudden stumbled upon this giant festival aka Afrikaburn. How did they pick that random spot in the middle of the desert?? It was actually the only close to civilization thing I had seen in I would say about 3 hours. I kept thinking what did I get myself into. The first thing I saw was a man in a long trench coat that was flashing every car that went by. Then I saw a man that had trashbags stuffed with paper all over his body riding a bike. Then we had an older woman who was dressed up as a sailor jump onto our truck and was telling us how we had to ring the "virgin" bell because we were all virgins to Afrikaburn. This was the "virgin" bell
So all of us on the two trucks we came with rang the bell and it was time to find our camp site. It was quite the process but we finally found a spot and set up our 28 tents. We literally looked like an army base. The rest of the trip is unable to be described into words so I figure I will just put up some pictures to kind of try to explain what the hell happened that weekend.













And I guess that's all I can really say about my experience there? Haha. The last day however we woke up at the crack of dawn to pack up the campsite and head home. This is the sunrise I woke up to when I emerged from my tent...
Literally unreal

Once we were all packed up, the driver realized that the battery was dead on the truck. I figured that we could just jump it and it would start back up but I guess that wasn't an option. The next thing I knew we were pushing the truck to try to get it started. Nothing like being stuck in the desert. The truck started and we were on the road until just as we were about to exit the area where Afrikaburn was it died again. So once again we were pushing the truck to try to get it started. After many failed attempts and some tinfoil? (not really sure what that did) the truck started and we were finally on our way home. After 4 days of living in the desert with no shower or real toilets the first thing I did when I got home was take the longest shower ever taken. It was magical. I had about 16 dreadlocks in my hair, like actually couldn't brush them out they were so matted. T.I.A

No comments:

Post a Comment