Monday, May 9, 2011

Dad's Visit

The day after I got back from my trip my dad arrived in Cape Town and stayed for 2 weeks. I figure just giving you the play by play of what happened in the 2 weeks in 1 post is the best way to go:

While he was here we:

1. Went paragliding. It was was so cool, and so relaxing. Weird to think about something such as throwing your body off the side of a mountain as relaxing but it really was. As soon as you jump off, the parachute catches you and the rest of the time you literally sit back and enjoy the view. The whole trip only took about 7 minutes to get down to the bottom and once at the bottom, the landing was super smooth unlike the others who ended up falling. My guy I went tandem with was really cool too. He was saying how he has 2 kids, blah, blah, but how cool for your dad to be a paragliding instructor?! At least I thought it was cool
Weeeee paragliding
2. The Winelands!
My dad and I took a trip out to the winelands aka Franschoek and Stellenbosch to dabble into a few wineries. We stayed the nice at a smaller winery called Mont Rochelle. SO nice wow. The place was so relaxing. The 1st day we were there we didn't do much but drive through town and eat dinner at the hotel. The next day were took a tour of the winery and did a little wine tasting and the checked out. We did a little shopping around town and then went to another winery called La Mott. This winery was BEAUTIFUL, actually stunning. We did another tasting there and then had lunch outside in the coutyard where there were a bunch of nice seating areas with couches and tables. The sandwich I had was OUT OF THIS WORLD. I'd say top 10 best sandwiches I have ever had and that's saying a lot. There was a museum connected to the winery so we took a quick peek at that on our way out.
 The view from the porch of our winery, gorgeoussss
 Here is a small part of La Mott, the other winery were took a gander at

3. We took a look at a few museums downtown such as the district 6 museum. (Look district 6 up online for more information) and then we went to this other placed called the castle. The castle was an old fort that was used when the first settlers arrived in to Cape Town. We got to walk around the top where there were cannon holes and what not and it overlooked the entire city, it was prettyyyy legit.

4. Went out to eat, every. day. So I gained approximately 50 lbs when my dad was here because we ate out SO much, but it was good because I got to go to a lot of the places I probably wouldn't go on my own. We ate at this one place called the Codfather. SO good, you picked the fish you wanted them to cook right out of the case in front of you. SO fresh, SO good. Yum. Another interesting place we ate was a place called Gold, which also had a museum in it from way back. We walked in a did an interactive drumming session, great. And then it was already a set menu and there was SO much food wow. During dinner they had performers come up dressed up in these weird costumes (seen below) and one main girl who was singing some crazy African songs throughout dinner. Interesting. I finally had Greek food in a town near Chapman's peak and in the town I saw a man walking a pot belly pig? I think that's what it was at least. So random. The thing was huge and it was squeeling and everything. Why not just take the pig for a walk?
 Check out that weird thing
Casual stroll with the pig?

Those are pretty much the big things that we did while he was here, I think? I don't even remember at this point, did wayy to much. My apologies!

1 comment: